Thursday, July 29, 2010

Eleven Months



Eleven months old today! I realized yesterday that my little boy really isn’t a baby anymore. It doesn’t make me sad, because I love every day with him and take such joy watching him grow, but it did make me pause. Before he was born I could imagine having a baby, a little lump to feed and change. I’ve dreamed about having a baby since I was hardly more than a baby. There’s a story about my mom knowing it was time to get me a doll when I was two (she didn’t want to gender me, ah the 70s) when she found me in the kitchen rocking a dishtowel like a baby. But, don’t think I really pictured what it would be like to have a little walking, almost-talking person. It’s the most wonderful thing I’ve ever done.



Three weeks ago, over the course of seven days, M took his first steps, popped his two bottom teeth and started saying “Dah-dee” whenever Jon walked into the room. It was amazing. And it’s only gotten better.

He’s now full-on walking. He can walk across the room, turn around and walk back for a hug, he can walk while holding a toy and he can squat down and get back up. How cool is that? I helped make a little person who can walk!

He’s primarily eating table food, but still likes some purees. He likes strips of foods rather than dices. He loves gnawing on a stalk of steamed celery. I noticed tonight that he likes experimenting with foods when he he’s in the Beco rather than in his high chair. A bit odd. He was willing to try blackberries and tomatoes for the first time when I fed him in the Beco, but it took a few tries before he would eat them when I gave them to him in his highchair. He’s always been good with a cup and a sippy cup, but now he’s able to figure out which end’s up on the sippy.

Sleep is still hit or miss. We were doing really well before our trip to the Cape. When we were there he did not sleep well at all. It was rough. Now we’re trying to get back on track. I’m a bit more willing to let him grumble and fuss in the middle of the night than daddy, eleven months of night feedings are wearing thin. Actually, I wouldn’t mind the waking and feeding, but he’s had a lot of trouble going back to sleep.


Playing skittles with daddy.


I love playing with my little man! He is so wonderfully curious in everything, especially electrical cords and plugs. But, he’s a lot better about those than he was a month ago. Our practice of saying “no,” gently but firmly and then distracting him seems to be working. Or, the fact that we’ve put up the baby gates and given him almost free run of the downstairs has sufficiently distracted him. I love just letting him explore. I’ll lie down on the floor and he’ll make the rounds around the room coming over to hug mama every once in a while and then going back to playing.


Everyday I am grateful to have such a sweet, loving little boy. Even at his grumpiest he will smile when I give him a cuddle. I love this boy so much. Oh little M, I am so glad I get to be your mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment