Saturday, July 17, 2010

More Joys of Parenthood

Yesterday, my dear boy ended the day with a dodgy tummy and I ended up covered in vomit. It’s amazing the things you learn about yourself when you become a parent. One interesting discovery I made is that I can handle lots of tough situations, but when it comes to vomit I freeze. Just for a second or two, but as soon as he starts with the productive gagging my mind goes blank and I have no idea what to do. Of course, then I snap out of it and go into action-mama mode. I am grateful that I don’t get sick to my stomach at the sight/smell of vomit. That would suck, because it goes without saying that when you have a sick and crying baby you really have to focus on him.

We’re still not sure why he was sick, but was a little quiet all evening and didn’t eat all that much at dinner. He does seem to have started teething again recently and had the same symptoms last time he got sick. We did our normal bedtime ritual – bath, cuddle, bottle and then I put him to bed. A few minutes later he started to fuss. I went up to give him the rest of his bottle and blegh, all over mama. Poor little boy was so sad and confused. After shouting for Jon, I took him to the bathroom for a shower with mama, which cheered him right up. Jon cleaned the bedroom up and I dressed M in fresh jammies. He was cheerful and ready to play, but thankfully he settled once we rocked a bit.

Kids really are kinda gross.

But, how wonderful it is that there are so many more beautiful, amazing aspects of parenthood. Earlier that evening M walked halfway across the family room, paused to pick up a toy, and then walked across the rest of the room. How amazing that we made a person that can now walk! I’m so glad I get to be this little boy’s mama.


Since I don't want to post vomit pictures (or indeed, take them) I'll post a picture of little M in his pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment