Friday, August 20, 2010

Fabric Store!!

I've lived in NJ for seven years and my poor husband has had to listen to me moan about the lack of a good fabric store ever since we moved here. My local stores are pretty terrible, mostly directed at boring home dec fabrics. A couple of years ago I discovered Fabric Warehouse Direct - it has a ton of very inexpensive stuff, but it's hit or miss and usually pretty generic.

I wanted yummy, fun, exciting options - Amy Butler, Anna Maria Horner, Heather Bailey, Cloud 9 - but honestly, I would have been thrilled with a Jo-Ann's.

And yes, I admit that my complaints are pretty pathetic considering I'm only 35 minutes from NYC, but I'm lazy and I've always found the garment district a bit overwhelming.

Last week, while searching for directions on how to make a pennant/banner for M's birthday party. I discovered Rock Paper Scissors in Montclair. So close and so wonderful! I went for the first time yesterday morning and it was pure crafty heaven. I found just the fabric for our new bathroom curtains and a cute little owl print for a pair of pants for M. Such fun!!

2 comments:

  1. I have the same trouble, no decent fabric stores around me either (I'm in Hudson county). Even though I work in the garment district and am a textile designer, I get my fabric at www.fabric.com. I really don't get the time to shop during the week in the city unless I'm "shopping" at work for discarded yardage. Looking forward to seeing those owl pants on M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Textile designer?!? Ok, that's really cool. I officially have job-envy. I'll have to check out fabric.com! My creativity dried up during pregnancy (M has the most boring nursery ever...)and it's just starting to rekindle now.

    ReplyDelete