Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Happy Birthday GramAnna!

Today is my wonderful, beautiful Gram's 92nd birthday. Gram has inspired me in so many ways with her energy, creativity and her positive outlook on life. I have so many happy memories of spending time with her during our summer trips to Maine. I think my favorite memories are the small ones – helping her dry dishes after meals, walks down Pott’s Point, the grown ups having drinks on the porch while I explored the chest of family memories, picking blueberries for buckle (best dessert ever!)

She always let me have free run of her fabric stash – a true gift to a budding little sewer! And her stories, I love her stories. About fifteen years ago she started writing down stories, vignettes from her life and sending copies to the family. It has been such a wonderful gift for us and for future generations. I cherish each and every one, rereading them often. From the everyday to the momentous, I love having a chance to know so much about her life.

Gram wearing a suit she made.

I was so glad to have her meet M, the newest little branch on our family tree, in May. M is a carbon copy of my husband – we joke about needing a “maternity test” – but every so often I see a little glimpse of Gram in him. Something about the way he looks at you and the set of his nose. And it always makes me smile.

So, happy, happy birthday Gram! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Gram with her four daughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment